Monday, May 26, 2008

FEAR II


" The only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless ,unreasoning , unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance ."- F. D. Roosevelt , President of U.S.A ,1933.

As you would have realized by now , I am an idle person with totally idle interests (although I think you guys are no better , since you find time to read what I write , but anyway ) . My idea of exertion is to lie down on a couch and watch others work , at times when that becomes too strenuous I go back to sleep , but you know how things are these days , you hardly get to sleep for more than 10 hours at a stretch .

I am also a great Television watcher and watch Television whenever I find time from by busy schedule !! .

One fine winter morning ( actually afternoon , as mornings are for sleeping ) , I was watching World Wrestling Entertainment guys pummel each other , while I sat down and had my 'Mornin Cuppa .

Suddenly, the Ad breaks appeared ( what ingenuity , as if Ad breaks appear after prior warning ) and I saw a guy advertising for a Tea brand . There he sat down with a cup of tea , when a Neta appeared seeking votes . I will not bore with you the details , although I know you stupid guys have nothing better to do , but in brief , our friend , the young chap harassed the Neta with questions like his qualification details , experience et al . The Neta wears a shocking look on his face and is embarrassed to no end . The Ad ended with the punch line , " JAAGO INDIA JAAGO ."

I suddenly felt goose pimples all over the body ( the same way when I thought that a ghost had entered the house through the window , one fine night …..but that is another story ) . I appreciated the cool attitude of the guy and cursed at my fate for not providing me such opportunities .

And then it happened !

I heard my door bell ring and since there was no one at home , and furthermore since I was expecting the Pizza delivery guy ( I simply love Pizzas , they are so fattening and help me in increasing my lethargy ) , I made the painful effort of walking up to the door and opening it .

There stood in front of me the local leader who was standing in the General elections as a candidate of the ruling party . I had seen the guy's photograph on the packet when I had bought Samosas yesterday evening . What luck , I said to myself and pinched myself hard to confirm that I was not dreaming ( you see with my hobby of sleeping , that is the most expected thing ) . No sir ! I was wide awake , and I quickly mumbled a prayer to God in thankfulness .

Let me describe the guy to you people in brief , before proceeding further ( Don't you feel that I can become a good serial director from the way I stretch things ) .

The guy was around Six feet tall , which is around just 12 inches taller than I am , must have weighed around 100 kgs. , had a thick beard , wore a white shirt , white trousers and white sports shoes . A thick gold chain dangled from his neck , a similar bracelet from his wrist . He had the latest version of the mobile phone in his hand ( I knew the version and was desiring to buy it , but you see the exorbitant price was a deterrent ) and the ubiquitous Paan in his mouth . He was surrounded by his friends , who looked like exact replicas of him and were incessantly chatting on their phones . Revolvers were dangling from the waist of a few of them . To tell you guys frankly , for a moment I thought that the wrestlers had walked out of the television set .

My initial reaction was to run at their sight , but then I remembered the JAAGO INDIA ad and the cursing of my fate a few moments back . This was God making up for all the earlier wrongs perpetrated on me , and I could make a hero out of myself . Since a few of the guys from my locality were accompanying them, I could see the opportunity to impress them with my chutzpah ( one of them was the husband of Mrs. Sharma who I had been ogling for quite some time , and this could be my entry pass to their home and ….. , what fun , I thought , I could kill two birds with one stone ) .

The Neta was decency personified , with folded hands and stuff , and his friend started introducing and singing paens in his praise . My mind was working furiously on the way to humble this guy and become a hero figure for Mrs. Sharma and the rest of the locality ( well actually the rest of the locality was on a lower priority ).

Then it stuck me . Since my mind had stopped functioning years ago due to very infrequent use , I decided upon the queries raised by the 'cool guy' in the ad . I instinctively said , " What is your qualification ?" , " Qualification"!!!!! The guy mumbled , and his eyes nearly popped out and he nearly swallowed on his Paan . Mr. Sharma , who till now stood disinterested and was merely making up the numbers reacted as if somebody had pinched his bottom . The rest of the ' friends' of the Neta nearly fainted . There was pin drop silence all around .

" Qualification! ," the Neta repeated , as if I was asking something in Chinese . Sweat appeared on his forehead and he sounded incoherent . Emboldened and in anticipation of an easy victory , I reiterated : "Yes , Qualification" , and then added , " What is your experience ?" By now I could hear the heartbeat of this guy , he was sweating profusely in this chilly morning . Mr. Sharma looked as if he had just seen Count Dracula , in person . The 'friends' looked as if they were part of some funeral procession .

Enjoying my success , I was already looking towards Mrs Sharma's house and could imagine a standing ovation from the rest of the locality . "Experience !" The guy sounded like he had a sore throat . I felt like those HR guys who themselves know nothing , but interview others for recruitments .

"Yes , meaning what have you done till now ."

And then it happened ……… Suddenly , I could see the guy relax , as if had the job .
" Oh , Accha , so say so na!! " Now it was my turn to get puzzled . What do you mean , say so na , I thought . I then repeated my statement , " Yes, experience , " trying to reassert my superiority . This should shut him up , so I thought .
The Neta spat out the Paan and cleared his throat and began :

" 13 Murders , Ten Kidnappings , Running of extortion business throughout the city , Gun Running , Narcotics supply " , not to be left out , his 'friend chipped in , " Netaji , tell him about the bank robbery yesterday ", " Ah yes ", the Neta noted with a sense of pride , " the bank robbery , yesterday, 5.00 crores only ".
Only!! Was the guy talking about a robbery or signing a cheque !!!!
I felt as an earthquake had struck my house and the earth was trembling beneath my feet . Actually , it was my feet trembling . Now it was my turn to sweat . The glee from my face disappeared and my throat felt as dry as the Bundelkhand land during summer. I could see Mr. Sharma turn around and make an effort to flee this rather unholy situation . But then he turned back as watching my predicament seemed much more interesting ( actually his path was blocked by the Neta's friends , who had begun to voice the choicest expletives and had taken out their weapons , as if to retaliate against a terror attack ).
By now , my legs had turned to jelly and my mind had become numb ( it usually is that way , but Today was different ) . I was looking with pleading eyes towards the people of my locality , as quite a crowd had gathered by now . But my locality people seemed much more interested in observing the colour of the sky .
I suddenly heard Mrs. Sharma's window being closed ……..
The Netaji ( I could not refer to him as Neta anymore ) looked like the Great Khali and the Undertaker put together , to me . The great man was smiling away . Suddenly his phone rang , " Yes , Jailor Baboo , Ha Bhai , I will come back tomorrow for some time . See that the Air Conditioner is installed properly in my room . And yes , have you arranged for the Scotch and the ……. You see , I cannot manage without them ".
Then I realized that Netaji was serving a jail term . I was now sweating like a pig and feeling like a lamb to slaughter . My eyes were moist with tears and I could imagine my family members coming back and finding me beaten to pulp . I took solace in the fact that Mrs Sharma might also pay me a courtesy visit . This is what happens with idle mind , bloody well , here I am on the verge of getting lynched and my mind……
God , get me out of this , is all I could think of then . But at times like this, God also develops a sense of humour , and it seemed like end was near . Seeing my situation one the 'friends ' took out a handkerchief and handed it over to me . I nearly fainted at the sight of the 'kerchief . It had blood stains all over . " Not that one , you fool" , Netaji barked at him . Then he turned around and condescendingly addressed me , " You see we met a scooterist on the way , who refused to give way immediately , and these boys taught him a lesson which he will never forget , IF he survives ."
IF !!!!!!
I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me . I started making promises , " God get me out alive and I will never eat Pizza , never watch T.V , Ads …na baba na . Arre I will not even ogle at Mrs. Sharma . " The 'friends ' were by now laughing like Navjyot Sidhu on Laughter challenge .
" Sir , I will vote for you " , is all I could mumble .
" Arre , who wants you to vote . I had come to warn you people not to venture near the polling booth on the election day , because it might not be good for your health " , announced the Netaji.
" Netaji , I have never voted in my life ". Every body turned around at Mr. Sharma who was glowering as if he was going on a date with Malikka Sherawat .
" And you , fat boy " Netaji turned towards me , " You want some more of my qualification?"
I turned my head in negation so vigorously that it is a wonder that it did not fall off .
" Good, so I take your leave and hope you all are satisfied with my qualification to lead you ", " Netaji Zindabad " my locality residents responded . My voice was choked with fear and I merely raised my hand .
Netaji got elected in a landslide and is now a minister at the Centre . I have switched to watching Aastha channel while not ogling at Mrs. Sharma , and Mr. Sharma smirks, whenever he sees me . I have applied to the Election Commission to strike off my name from the electoral role . If Arundhati Roy can give up Indian citizenship and still live in India, so can I .
Moral of the story : : Never believe in what the Americans tell you . Apparently F. D. Roosevelt had never met my revered NETAJI.
SO JAO INDIA SO JAO.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am really wondering about who Mrs. Sharma is in the first place! One of those pretty Indian women who have nothing to do, married to a man who also has nothing to do.... other than of course accompany the 'neta jis' of the world to sundry voters' home. That is where there existence comes from.
These neta jis of course survive more because of the numbers who accompany them... imagine what they would do if one by one the 'Mr. Sharmas' of the world started to drop out of the crowd. Imagine one day, neta ji turns to look at the sychophants around him and sees that no one is there. That's what I feel you are getting at... And it is great man.
And that is the point, these goons are nothing without support.
Citizens of our country do no realise that they are wrong by feeling weak. Their biggest strength is to withdraw support to these useless leaders, and see them squirm like fish out of water.

werty said...

FEAR-II
(RETURN OF THE FEAR)
" 13 Murders , Ten Kidnappings , Running of extortion business throughout the city , Gun Running , Narcotics supply and the bank robbery".Every day every politician in every nook and corner of this great nation is doing the same thing.
1.All jawans of our Army giving SHAHADAT at border are actually being murdered because of these netajis. Every time there is a bomb explosion killing innocent people I feel they are being brutally murdered by these khadi goons.
2.What to talk about kidnappings- the whole nation has been hijacked/kidnapped by these few hundred MPs and MLAs and common man is paying the price every day.
3.Some times I feel tat it would have been better had the British continued to rule this country.I dont recall the name of the Englishman who had once said thet the India is nothing but a geographical identity and it can never develop into a Nation.
Now the time has come when I will tell my kids "Bhago Bachchon Bhago".

Unknown said...

I thought that I will share this incident that came into my mind regarding netas of our country. When I was in Symbi in Pune, there was this 42-year-old man who would frequent the college campus in his blue mercedes. He had a bunch of young men drooling over his feet etc, some being so called friends of mine, willing to do all his bidding. I always wondered why?This went on for two years.
On the other hand, ever day in class, boys from my college would advice the women to be careful about a Mr. So and So who visits the campus, because he picks up women off hand. And for some vague reason, no one can say no to him. Being one of those not-into-anything types, I never faced any trouble. All that I knew was Mr.So and So too had a blue Merc. I thought to myself, " Cool coincidence, everybody seems to be driving around in blue Merc nowadays!"
Many months later, I was invited to a party to one of those really swanky resorts on the outskirts of the city. All my friends were going, so I was like," Why not?!"
My friends had left and they said they would ask the host to send me a car. Not knowing who the host was, I was not too comfortable, but went ahead with it anyways, as I was told there would be other girls being picked up too.
At 10 in the night there zoomed in a car, a blue merc you guessed it, with much younger girls in it already. One look, and I was conscious of my conservative clothes and practical phone. As I sat in the car, i requested to be allowed to sit in the front. The 30-minute ride had all the women drooling over the snazzy gowns and phones and jewellery that they were wearing and carrying.... all gifted by the same Mr. So and So. I was a little taken aback, but didn't think too much about why the same man was giving present to so many women .. I reached the party which was a little boisterous for my taste. There were a few local goons and had-been actors present too. Then appeared the birthday boy, man I should say, who had just turned 43. He seemed to be very pleased that he had survived another birthday maybe. Medium heighted, fair, drunk to death, loud and foul mouthed, falling on women, demanding birthday kisses from all present (yes men and women) throwing money. I hid behind my fattest friend, watching the night unfold. When the party was nearing an end, my friends finally decied to leave. On our way out, I came face to face with the guy and was introduced. Mr. So and So, owner of the blue Merc, giver of gifts to the little girls — none was over 20, frequents our college, oh only to find out whether his friends are comfortable or not etc.But, this is what I thought in my mind, because in reality, my friend was saying Meet MrXXXXXX, our local corporator. Everyone goes to him for help.
Thank you. I returned home on my best friends scooty.

Shikha said...

Firstly, clap clap...another brilliant piece! Where do you get the mental energy from? But keep it going man, someday more and more people will stand up and start talking...and I mean really talking. Not to forget, serves you right for being such a voyeur and trying to impress that arbit Mrs Sharma ;)
You know what, I think somewhere life itself is about not getting cowed down.
Time and again I have thought (and I am sure I am not the only one), why can we not unite in our thoughts? Why can't people who think different, who think things can change and should change, unite through their thoughts? Are they busy? With what?
I've always thought the biggest revolutions, the biggest changes happen through thoughts. And I mean thoughts that are not only thought but voiced and openly? When will we Indians realise that social structures in our country were built to enable not disable thinking. Hierarchy does not mean, people lower in the hierarchy should stop thinking isn't it.
Do you remember daddy not allowing us to think only because were lower down in the hierarchy in the family? We've always voiced our opinions. There is a structure that every family has and yet I think in most cases we decide our own lives. As a country, in India, voicing opinions tantamounts to treason, despite all the tall claims of tolerance. I never cease to be amazed by that. It's not just the people who carry guns who will kill you if you speak up, it's others who will kill you in other ways. Wherever we are, it's a sin to speak up. Hey nobody has a patent on thoughts isn't it.

Then of course, there are the great television mediapersons, who think they are born with the right to "speak" and it's only they who can speak (read:have opinions), especially english media. Check out Barkha Dutt smirking at some politicians only because they belong to BJP or some party that in her "opinion" is not "proper". I'd like some people's opinion on this - what do you guys think does she know everything there is to know under the sun? Why does she have that attitude that she will decide the fate of our country (God forbid!!)? I wonder if Einstein went around the world smirking at people because he was the genius that he was. I mean if he had gone by Barkha Dutt's standards he would have ended up having a very twisted face.
Another thing, that I wish us Indians would break through is the sick elitism that we practice. I mean, look at our family man...we are from a zamindar family and can lay all claims to being blue blooded, and yet our grandad got rid of all traces of "elitism" because he wanted to be a part of the larger scheme of things in the country. The latest in being elitist of course is the amount of money you have, have you bought a flat, do you have a car, what car do you have, etc etc. I mean with so much occupation do you think intelligent indians have time to think about incosequential things like the future of our country. Why do we think we cannot have a say in the way the country is going? Don't know. I may not be the prime minister or chief minister or the gram sarpanch, but I sure can have some impact around myself. Social leaders, maybe we should think we need some of them too!
Sona mat Bharat!

Anonymous said...

Netaji ki jai ho . What realistic presentation . I thought I was watching a movie . Sone Nahi Doonga Bharat.